A rare french meteorite that fell in 1753 !
Part slice, sold in membrane box with label/certificate of authenticity.
*** If you buy from the € zone, please use € currency on my website and for payment. This way, you’ll avoid paying Paypal conversion fees ! ***
Fell september 16, 1753
Total mass : about 14 kg
On September 16, 1753, at about 1 pm (or at 2:30 pm according to other stories), a noise similar to that which would make two or three guns was heard in the province of Bresse. The noise was the most intense around Pont-de-Vesle. In Luponnas, a hissing sound was heard. On the same day, two blackish rocks planted in the ground were found near Pin, one of which weighed 10 kilograms. Jérôme de la Lande declared that the phenomenon was linked to some volcano that would have been created in the mountains of Mâconnais.
Marie Bernigat discovered, two days after the events, a big stone, near the Belloures, on the road to Rettisinges. She didn’t pick it up and so it’s a young boy, Barthélémy Cocogne, who brought it to Joseph Curtil who, in turn, gave it on September 22 to the guard of Pont-de-Veyle. The fragment weighed about 2.7 kg.
Philibert Robin, from the village of Pin, went to Saint-Jean-de-Veyle for vespers. His servant, Cochet, heard the impact of a fragment but didn’t find anything. He came back there the next day and, with the help of two farmers, dug up a rock weighing about 6 kg. All three carried it to Mr. Robin who, curious or feared, broke it into pieces to observe its interior appearance.
The miller of Vavre, Mr Ronjon, went to vespers at Vonnas. He also heard the detonations, the hissing then the fall of a mass on the other side of the river at a place called Les Granes-Terres, near Luponnas. He brought home the stone of about 3 kg ; the meteorite was broken and the pieces were shared with everyone accompanying Ronjon.
There was also a fragment found near the village of Bez.
On April 29, 1754, Joseph Verdet, living in Bagne, found
« a twisted stone » in a ditch, at a place called The Sablons. At a place called Champagne, some people spoke of a stone that was never found.
Finally, fishermen who were near Luponnas heard and saw several stones falling in ponds and swamps around them.
M. Lafaveur indicated in 1880, that « Thirty villages were stoned ».