Fragment – 13.57g
Sold with label/certificate of authenticity.
Museum piece !
Fell september 20, 1950
CM2 carbonaceous chondrite
Total mass : 12.6 kg
At approximately 1:35 a.m., C.S.T., a brilliant fireball roared through the atmosphere above the Jasper County region of southeastern Illinois. The red-orange ball of flame travelled along a path that extended approximately from north to south, leaving a luminous train visible in 5 states. The brilliant light was described by eyewitnesses as having been of such intensity that the sky was
illuminated « as bright as day. » About 5 seconds later, the bolide exploded with a blinding flash over western Kentucky at an altitude greater than 45 km. The force of the explosion and succeeding thundering sounds jarred windows over a thousand-square-mile area, bounded by Paducah and Madisonville, Kentucky, and Paris, Tennessee. These optical and acoustical displays were followed by a shower of meteoritic fragments that fell to Earth in Calloway County, Kentucky, at a place 9 miles east of Murray, near Wildcat Creek, on Kentucky Lake.
Several observers reported hearing masses thudding into the ground approximately 30 seconds after the explosion.
A search party from Vanderbilt University entered the fall area on October 22, 1950. Intermittent rain hindered the search, which was already handicapped by the lack of information concerning the trajectory of the fireball through the atmosphere. Although many masses had been heared to fall in nearby woods, only a few small pieces were found, while other fragments were given to
the party by farmers. Some fragments were found as far as 3 miles apart.
The largest recovered fragment of this meteorite was actually heared whistling through the air and striking the ground. This specimen is approximately 15 cm. in diameter, weighs 3.4 kg., and embedded itself in a hardbeaten path to a depth of 15 cm., only 26 feet from the home of Mr. Ernest Barnett.
Many of the objects were fragmented upon impact with the ground. One fragment pierced the roof of a house owned by a M. Wilkinson, without splintering or scarring the floor onto which it fell.